After two times of
working with world relief, I can say that this is a cool experience to be a
part of. I have met with two different
groups, one is a family from Nepal, and the other group is three guys from
Burma. With both groups, we used flash
cards to see if they could read a word or recognize a picture, if they could
read, we would try and have them read a small book. If that went well we worked on math and or
body parts. After meeting with both
groups, I can honestly say there is a big difference. The family from Nepal is anxious to learn and
they constantly are trying to do their best, they even study when we are not
there. On the other hand the guys from
Burma do not seem as motivated to learn English, or even have us help them. We went there for the first time and they
were sleeping and we had to wake them up.
The family from Nepal is open to change, thus showing they have an low
uncertainty avoidance. This is why they
are so open to cultural change, also explains why they are very motivated to be
a good fit in the culture. The guys from
Burma are all different, they all act like they could care less about adapting
to the new culture, but one of them fully participates in learning when we do
the activities. For example, the guy I
worked with refused to try reading the book even though he is fairly good at
reading English. After seeing the
different reactions to us teaching them, I have an idea of how to go about
helping in future visits. First of, the
family from Nepal, they are very easy to teach because of their motivation, all
I need to do is pick one of them and work on their reading abilities and
comprehension, which has already improved during the visit. The tricky part is working with the guys from
Burma. I do not think I will be visiting
this group again due to scheduling conflicts, but if I do I need a new
approach. I need to give them more
motivation to want to learn to help fuel the learning experience. Maybe more motivation would help encourage
them to learn the new language to help them fit better here in the new
culture. Maybe they are in culture shock
and are nervous about many things, but other than that I think more motivation
would help them with the cultural adaptation that’s taking place.
No comments:
Post a Comment