Saturday, November 9, 2013

Post-Service Post


Throughout the weeks of doing service with World Relief, I have learned that some cultures are really different.  Not just from the United States, but from other refugee countries.  I worked with two different groups throughout these weeks, and noticed many differences between the two.  This is not to be generalized, but to compare the two groups I worked with based on how they acted.  Burmese people are not very timely, and Nepalese people are right on time.  Nepalese people had the intention of bettering themselves and learning more about American culture, while the Burmese group was more laid back and less willing to learn.  The one time I was with the Burmese group, I asked the man to try and read the book with me, and his answer was a simple no.  While the Nepalese family was always ready to read or try anything we asked.  Another difference was the strengths they possessed, The Burmese were really good with math, while the Nepalese were more so equal across the board.  This included speaking, writing, reading, math, and pronunciation.   After learning what I learned, it would be safe to say that I would do a little more research on the culture that I will be working with, so I know how to go into the situation.  This would make the initial confrontation much smoother and create a better working environment.  This would make communication easier, and even a more comfortable environment for me, and the group I am with.  This does not only apply to service learning, but also in the work place.  I could have a new client or patient and need to know how to make them feel comfortable.  This background knowledge could help give me the upper hand on the situation and make the process much smoother for both parties.  Going into this project I was really opinionated and not really open to any of this, however after the first visit, I opened up more and experienced a whole other side.  The side that most people do not see about foreigners in America.  Most people judge them for being different, not speaking English, and bad driving.  After visiting with them for the hours I have, I have seen a family actually trying to adapt and fit in.  Maybe not all families are this way, but seeing this made me more open minded and acceptable of change.  As long as I see people trying to better their life, I cannot complain.  This project has opened my eyes, and will help me with interpersonal interactions for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment